Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My heart.

I left home, at 3 am Wednesday, August 31, to make my 6:30 appointment at Chapel Hill hospital. Upon arrival, I registered, had blood drawn, and was taken to a mobile operating room - outside the hospital. It was the strangest thing. My family thought I was pretty drugged up (well, I was) when I was wheeled into my room after the procedure, and told them that I had been outside.
I'm now the proud owner of a St. Jude Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillator, model number CD3231-40. My cardiologist said it was the Cadillac of CRT-Ds. Or maybe the Ferrari, he said. I prefer Ferrari. Installing this device required 2 additional leads in my heart - one in the top and one around the back. I have a total of 3 leads now, allowing total heart monitoring and synchronization of EVERY heart beat.
I have been taken off of the drug Amiodarone and placed back on Sotalol. This is a good thing. Because of the Sotalol "loading," I had to remain in the hospital for 3 days, for monitoring. I came through ok and was released late Friday night.
I have been doing ok, except for the usual soreness and the HORRIBLE dreams that Sotalol causes. Because this is my 3rd device - my second in the last 6 months - I know the routine: No raising of my left arm above my shoulder for several weeks, no lifting of anything over 5 pounds (try this...), no pushing of lawn mowers or vacuum cleaners, keep the incision area clean and dry, etc.
Thanks to Dr. Chung, the nurses and the rest of the staff at UNC, and my family, for everything they've done for me. I'm happy to be able to report in to TBOGL. I'm happy to be alive.
Sorry 'bout the pic...



 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment