Thursday, August 25, 2011

And, as Alexander Portnoy may know, it's also good on liver...

In Philip Roth's book "Goodbye, Columbus," the main character, Neil Klugman, lived with an aunt who refused to cook with black pepper. She said it had no nutritional value and she didn't like the idea of giving it a free ride through the digestive system. That became a little joke between my friend Chuck and I. Whenever we would eat out together, I would ask him about the nutritional value of black pepper - as I dumped it on my food.
Well, guess what? Black pepper is good for you! It helps with diabetes, arthritis, and can assist in the prevention of colon cancer. It's packed with antioxidants and provides a healthy boost, overall.
That's good to know. Now that I watch my salt intake, I use more black pepper than ever.
 

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment