Thursday, April 15, 2010

The old guy I work with.

The old guy I work with was talking about "sayings" the other day. His uncle John William used to say "A lizard and a scorpion went 'round and 'round a pine tree. The scorpion sat down, he was tired. He had turpentine in his eyes." Then there was "Doodle-bug, doodle-bug, give me a cup of coffee."
Now, the old man, himself, often uses common expressions, but he twists them up so that they're almost unrecognizable. Like: "ANOTHER man's trash is another man's GOLDMINE." Or, "What's good for the gander works for the goose, too." And, one of my favorites, "Beggars can't be choicy."
After using one of his mangled expressions, he'll often say "You ain't never heard that?!" To which I'll reply "Not quite like that..."

No comments:

Post a Comment