Monday, April 26, 2010

Wrestling...

I used to help my friend Chuck video tape wrestling matches for a professional wrestling promoter. They were shown on cable TV, in places around the world. It was an interesting experience. This entry was written in 2002.

I did the wrestling thing last night with Chuck, in Shallotte. I gave Chuck a copy of "Magnolia." He gave me 2 Hot Wheels Impalas. A '59 and a '65. Chopped and channeled.

I thought today how we could be mosquitoes to some being so large, we wouldn't be able to detect him. We could be swatted without a second thought. Then I thought that pesky mosquitoes would be too big, too noticeable. We would probably be more like germs. We could be washed right down this giant's drain, without any acknowledgement.
It's not a very original thought, but, oh, the perspective.

I told Chuck, last night, that art was all we had. Art is man's attempt to grapple with the big picture. The big question.

I got a letter from Chuck last week. The first thought I had, for about 1/2 a second, was that it was from my deceased friend Russell. Chuck and Russell have similar handwriting. Then, I saw the stamp. It was Andy Warhol. I thought to myself "they don't put living people on stamps." It took me a minute, or so, to remember that Andy was dead. Since the late 80s.
Maybe we are someone else's germs, but the people who have left my world live on in my heart. Not at all like germs down a drain. (I'll probably rework this clumsy attempt at expressing a thought, later.)

About a month later.

I'm wrestling again tonight. Wrestling. That's how I think of it. I'm not actually wrestling, of course, but helping Chuck film the matches.
It's about 5 pm. I was on the road today for about 11 hours. I'm pretty tired. I didn't sleep much last night, even though I went to bed fairly early.
Wrestlers are working out (warming up) in the ring and they're making a lot of noise in this otherwise empty gym. Chuck is in the back, filming promos, etc. I've seen it quite a bit, by now, so I've decided to skip it.
As it's about a 7 hour drive, it will be around 5 am tomorrow when we get to Chuck's house. We will be dead tired by then. I will probably sleep in my car, in his driveway, for a couple of hours, then make the additional 3 hour drive home. I will fall into bed as soon as I get home (probably between 10 and 11 am) and sleep several hours. When I wake up, I'll fix something to eat, maybe watch a little TV, then go back to bed.
The weekend will be shot.
Monday morning again.

That is exactly what happened - except I slept a couple of hours on Chuck's couch, instead of in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment