Saturday, April 23, 2011

My heart (update).

I had the cardiac ablation procedure and had my ICD changed out (I've got the top of the line model, with all of the latest technology). While they were replacing that, they discovered I have (along with the enlarged heart and Ventricular Tachycardia) Atrial Fibrillation. Now, I'm at risk for stroke.
Hooray for me!
A few days after I came home, my new device gave me an "inappropriate shock." Very traumatic. Now I know what it feels like. Somehow, it mistook the A-Fib as V-Tach. I've been back up to UNC and had them adjust my ICD. They also put me on Coumadin and increased my Metoprolol. Now I'm taking a drug that could turn me blue (Amiodarone) and one that could cause me to bleed to death (Coumadin).
I can't sleep. I feel horrible. I'm afraid to eat anything (and yet I have only lost about 10 lbs). I'm supposed to watch my liquid intake. No leafy green vegetables or Broccoli(!). I may have to have an atrial ablation and/or a DIFFERENT ICD installed.
Up until the last few visits, the doctors have tried to tell me some small, positive thing about my condition - something to hold onto. At my last check-up, someone said, "No matter what we try, your heart just seems to resist."
There comes a point in a person's life when he has to weigh the quantity vs quality. I think I may be there.

1 comment: