Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Music Project, Pt. 3

I grew up on white-boy blues. Later, I went back to find out where they got it from. But, the way I look at it, it doesn't matter what you look like, or where you come from, you either have the blues in you or you don't. ZZ Top has it. "Tres Hombres" is packed with great songs, and some of the dirtiest blues guitar ever. Own it, if for no other reason than "La Grange."
Robin Trower is one of my all time favorite axe slingers. The man can play one sustained note and almost make me cry. I could list 5 or 6 of his albums here, but I had to go with "Bridge of Sighs." He should be as famous as Hendrix and Stevie Ray. And HE'S still ALIVE and making music.
I don't think a week goes by that I'm not singing something from "Jesus Christ Superstar." Often, it's in the shower (for some reason). Some interesting trivia: Paul Raven (aka Gary Glitter) had a small part as a priest. Murray Head (Judas) had a hit with the song, "Superstar." He had another hit, in the 80s, with "One Night in Bangkok," a tune from the musical, "Chess," which was written by "JCS" lyricist Tim Rice and the 2 guys from Abba.
My favorite musical.
I can't tell you what an influence Edgar Winter was on me. "Roadwork" is a very live document of his band, the legendary White Trash - one of the most talented, white-boy (no one is whiter than the Texas albino brothers Edgar and Johnny Winter) blues/gospel/rhythm and blues bands ever. I'm, generally speaking, not a jam person, but "Tobacco Road" - all 17 minutes and 13 seconds of it - is the stuff.
My vote for greatest Prog Rock band ever: YES! "Fragile" features my favorite line-up: Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and Bruford. This music is so inventive, and remains oddly fresh.
Eddie Van Halen was a true innovator. He changed the way we look at rock guitar in much the same way as Hendrix did. Van Halen's self titled debut remains my favorite. Great songs, great production (by Ted Templeton) and amazing playing.
Bonnie Raitt once said that AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" was the perfect distillation of guitar, songs and vocals. Or something like that. Anyway, I agree. RIP, Bon (Scott).
The Coop warped me early on with "Killer." I remember, as a kid, taking my cassette player away from the house - and my mother - to revel in the freakiness of Alice's vision. Whenever I feel the need to show someone what rock and roll is, I play them "Under My Wheels." As far as I'm concerned, Alice Cooper is doing the lord's work.
Craving some Power Pop perfection? (Aren't we all?) Drop Cheap Trick's second outing, "In Color and Black and White" - and crank it up. It's sheer bliss.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment