Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Music Project, Pt. 9

Four of my favorite soundtracks:
I was in the first group of people to see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" in my town, in the 70s. I already owned the soundtrack, so I knew the songs - but I couldn't hear them that night. The crowd at the theater was so rambunctious that I had a snowball's chance in heck of following the story. People were screaming and running up and down the aisles. Water was flying everywhere - two girls, in front of me, had a 30 gallon trash can full. Someone cut the screen. But, forget all that - this album contains some of the most fun music you'll ever hear in a movie.
The "Austin Powers" soundtrack was put together by someone who knew what they were doing. From Brasil 66 to Ming Tea, this stuff is shag-edelic, baby.
"Velvet Goldmine" is the story of David Bowie in much the same way as "The Rose" is the story of Janis Joplin. Imagine a glam rock soundtrack with no Bowie, though! (David wanted nothing to do with it.) That's ok, there's T.Rex, Roxy Music, Eno and a glittery host of others.
Ah, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." This is one of the most original musicals of our time. I first saw this in our local 150 year old theater. C'mon everyone, take your wig down off the shelf.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment