Monday, July 18, 2011

The Music Project, Pt. 5

I tried to explain KISS for 3 years before the kids at my school finally caught on. I picked their eponymous debut mainly because it was first. I love the early makeup: Ace with silver hair, Peter's elaborate cat whiskers - and look at Gene! He's never looked more wicked. And he's not even sticking his tongue out... Great hard driving rock and roll on this one.
God bless The Sensational Alex Harvey Band! Those boys could play anything - from 30s style cabaret jazz and show tunes to hard tribal rock - often in the same song. "The Impossible Dream" is an album that continually thrills me. VAMBO RULES! OK...
I couldn't decide which Queen album to use - 1 through 4 would have done nicely - so I went with the obvious choice, "A Night at the Opera." Roy Thomas Baker said the band stacked so many guitar and vocal parts on the tape that you could see through it. The end product was well worth their Herculean studio efforts, and as ridiculously baroque as it is, there is not a single gratuitous note on the album.
I think a lot of folks saw Brownsville Station as some sort of a joke band. I mean, they did have a great sense of humor, but they were one of the hardest working rock and roll outfits around. And in Cub Coda, they had a bonafide Garage/Blues/Rock historian - a keeper of the flame. "School Punks" featured "Kings of the Party," in which Brownsville professed to be "the baddest people alive." Not too far off the mark, if you want my humble opinion.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment