Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Music Project, Pt. 7

There will be a couple of stragglers later on, but for the most part, we're in the 80s.
The photo on the cover of "Dirty Mind" (not to mention the title) just about says it all. Standing half naked against a box spring, Prince has delivered a stripped down, sexy gem. The record company thought it sounded unfinished, but Prince knew what he was doing. He always does.
Junkie, punk rock poet, writer, friend of Patti Smith and Lou Reed, Jim Carroll left us with his amazing debut, "Catholic Boy." Jim's word-play knocks me out, every time.
I love Siouxsie and the Banshees' cover collection, "Through the Looking Glass." From the Sparks to Dylan to Disney, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, Lady Day, Television and more, they make each song a Banshees song. Which is a good thing.
"Radioactivity" is my all time favorite Kraftwerk album, but because I already wrote about it in an earlier post, I picked "Computer World" for this list. It doesn't really matter. Just because I say one is my favorite, doesn't mean I like any of the others any less - if that makes any sense. I'm a huge Kraftwerk fan.
I love everything Tears For Fears has ever done. I picked "Songs from the Big Chair" because it's the one that first caught my attention. One of the most important bands from the 80s.
Another essential 80s band is The Church. "Hey Day" features a veritable buffet of drop dead gorgeous, psychedelic tinged, paganistic, atmospheric jangle-osity. Listen to "Columbus" at your own risk. (You won't be able to exorcise it from your mind.)
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment