Monday, September 20, 2010

I just want my job back.

I probably shouldn't even be blogging this. I am so fucking angry!
My boss laid me off, the day after my 50th birthday, because of my medical condition. He thinks I'm a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Yeah, this has been a great week...
I can't understand this. Of my co-workers, one has had a heart attack and all kinds of other serious problems, another had a stroke earlier this year and nearly died (she has an artificial valve in her heart), another has had a heart attack and open heart surgery, and the last one has cancer. Two of my co-workers in the past 2 years have died of cancer. He let those two (R.I.P. Tommy and Gordon) work until they couldn't work anymore. He specifically told me to let them come in and "count pencils," if that's all they could do. My point is, why am I more of a liability than any of those people?
I applied for unemployment benefits today. Boy, did that suck. I guess I'm pretty dumb, because I don't even understand the process. Here's a random sample of the claimant information (and believe me, it's all like this):
"What is a benefit year?
Normally a benefit year is a 52 week period which begins the effective date of a valid claim. There are two exceptions to the 52 week benefit year: (1) when the benefit year begins on the first day of a calendar quarter, and (2) when the benefit year begins on the second day of a calendar quarter followed by a February 29th within that benefit year. In those two instances, the benefit year must extend for 365 or 366 days respectively. Therefore these exceptional benefit years end either on a Sunday or Monday of the 53rd week. Since the next succeeding benefit year must begin on a Sunday, the net effect of these exceptions is a 53 week benefit year."
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
Trust me, the rules go on and on like that. They're supposed to be helpful! And the web site won't let you fill in boxes. You get halfway through the stupid form and it won't let you go any further. AND, the number I got from the ESC this morning, which, supposedly, I should call if I need any assistance, HAS BEEN CHANGED OR IS NO LONGER IN SERVICE!!
I just want to go back to work.
I don't think my boss has been honest with me. He claims he loves the work I've done, but it feels like I'm being punished for something I have no control over.

No comments:

Post a Comment