Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Do You Remember the Time?

Do you remember the time
when the spiders aligned?
It made perfect sense to him,
but it could have been the cheap wine he drank.
The wall looked like Swiss cheese,
but the world was already too much.
The chick sat on the broken glass
and your fake suicide drove us into the night.

Do you recall?
He got down on his knees and pleaded his case
to the newly permed friend of a friend.
She sat in the rocker - not really a goddess.
Not really understanding at all, probably.
Now, everything is gone.
No, it never happened.
Or, it happened in someone else's life -
in another time, another place.
But, we all crawled into your bed. Three drunken friends -
young, but dying.

I could be a hollow man.

So the place is still the same,
but death - it surrounds me.
Faintly calls me.
In dreams.
In broad daylight.
It quietly emerges from the mouths of people who speak of entirely different subjects.
But, I know it's really all the same.
Even sex is death -
whispering softly, yet insistently, in its afterglow.
Tugging what's left of hope away from me.

The will to live is a joke - cruelest of all...

We drove many miles in your beat up old car.
How we made it home on just gas fumes, I'll never know.
Pimento cheese sandwich and a Fresca.
I probably cursed you for spending our last bit of money on food I despised.
It never bothered you.

This isn't the way it was supposed to be.
This isn't right at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment