Friday, March 18, 2011

My heart (update).

I just got back from Chapel Hill. I walked in the door about 10 minutes ago. 3 hours up, one hour at the clinic, 3 hours back.
The news wasn't especially encouraging. Even though I'm on a very strong medication, I've had a lot of "activity" since my last visit. VT activity. Not good. And the battery in my device is down to about 10 percent. The ICD technician called in the cardiologist for a consultation. He said that it's time to have a procedure called Cardiac Ablation. They send a kind of wire, through an artery in your thigh, up into your heart. This device burns away any scarring in your heart that can cause misfiring. And, while he's doing that, he may as well go ahead and replace my ICD.
Now, the possibility of the ablation procedure is the only bright spot on the horizon. However, after mentioning it, my doctor began to talk about money. How are you going to pay for this? I don't want to bankrupt you (unconvincing smile). This is an extremely costly procedure. Are you working? Are you getting Medicaid? Medicare? Any assistance? We need to confer with the financial assistance department. We'll get back to you.
So on and so forth.
So, that's where I am. Am I worried? You bet. When the doctor is concerned, you become concerned.
Maybe they'll decide it's not worth it to waste any more money on me and they'll just send me home, as is, to deal with my situation.
Tough break, kid...
Life keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment